Sunday, July 4, 2010

Where does the time go?

At 24 weeks of pregnancy, I began to go into labor. My doctor wasn't super concerned at first, only telling me to take it easy and stay off my feet as much as possible. A couple weeks later, I went in for an ultrasound. The nurse left the room to get another nurse. When they returned, I asked them what was wrong. They just smiled and said the doctor would come to speak with me.


With Shane half a country away for work, it was discovered that my body was silently laboring and my baby was in danger of being born nearly 15 weeks early. There was a lot of rushing around. I was hooked up to monitors, given shots to stop my labor and another shot to help mature the baby's lungs. I was put on bedrest. My doctor was hoping I would stay pregnant until June.


The next three months were scary and long. My wonderful husband came home from work every day and made us dinner, washed the dishes, switched out laundry, and anything else that required me lifting more than a couple pounds or bending. I was in and out of the hospital 10 times.


Against all odds, one year ago today I gave birth to my sweet boy Desmond, who weighed in at 8 pounds, 1 ounce.





The last year has flown by. We have adjusted to being a family of four. Keyana loves her baby brother, even though he tends to steal her toys and drive her crazy. I have felt so much more confident the second time around, and I am proud of my kids and what I have accomplished this far as a mother. I couldn't imagine my life without these two precious, amazing little people.


So today, I wish you all a happy 4th. And to my beautiful baby boy, happy birthday. Getting you into this world was scary, trying, and sometimes more than I thought I could ever handle. But in the end, you were more than worth it. I'm so thankful to have you in my life.



No comments:

Post a Comment